Plasma cuts through electrically conductive materials like a hot knife on butter. Plasma cutters are by far the most versatile metalworking tool which delivers flawless professional cutting, in a matter of minutes.
Speed, precision, and efficiency are a few of the reasons we prefer plasma cutters over oxy-fuel torches. The air pressure in plasma cutters is constricted and outperforms any other method even when cutting stacks of metal at once. But, it may be quite daunting when picking one that meets your needs.
Narrow down your search by asking yourself questions like how often you would use it, what material you would like to cut, if you want it to be portable, how you will power the plasma cutter (generator/adapt power), etc.
To save you the effort, we have listed five of the best products so that you can pick the best portable plasma cutter for yourself.
Hypertherm 088096 Powermax 30 AIR Hand System with 15' Lead
Hobart 500566 Airforce 40i Plasma Cutter 240V
Lotos LTP5000D 50Amp Non-Touch Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter, Dual Voltage 110V/220V, 1/2 Inch Clean Cut, Brown
The Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air is one of the best handheld portable plasma cutters known for its exceptional performance in the most compact packages. It comes with an in-built air compressor, and you can work it with any 120 or 240V circuits.
As the plasma cutter comes with an in-built compressor, you no longer need an external compressor or filter. The consumable design of this plasma cutter allows a consistent airflow and quickly cuts metal across different types and thicknesses.
It offers superior performance without even triggering the continuous arc feature. It has an exceptional cutting speed and quality that is precise and does not leave any slag. The hand torch, on the other hand, is designed to withstand the utmost heat and impact. It has a tapered cap and deflector for better arc visibility.
Even in humid conditions, the Hypertherm Power 30 Air works effortlessly with its built-in moisture removal technology. This is undoubtedly the best plasma cutter with a built-in compressor
Variable cut thickness
In-built air compressor
Rugged and compact design to withstand extreme environments
The Hobart Airforce 40i is one of the most reliable and inverter-based portable plasma cutters. The key feature that stands out in this plasma cutter is the cutting speed. It has an exceptionally fast cutting speed up to 52 inches maximum on quarter-inch steel.
Much like its previous version, the Hobart plasma cutter is one of a kind and is priced accordingly, too. The redesigned torch is highly responsive and comfortable to handle, providing ample flexibility during operation. The torch cuts metal clean with minimum slag.
This plasma cutter also comes with a pilot auto-arc feature that uses the auto-refire technology if you lose your arc for any reason during the operation.
This technology also helps in cutting expanded metals, or even coated and painted surfaces effortlessly. The wind tunnel technology prevents any abrasive dust particles from damaging the product or any internal components.
★ NON-TOUCH PILOT ARC PLASMA CUTTER: efficiently cuts though rough, painted, and rusty surfaces and produces minimal slag. Pilot arc technology allows you to cut without touching the tip to the metal. Better cutting quality and longer consumable life.
★ SAFE AND AT LOW COST: compact plasma cutter has a handle for portability and uses non-hazardous compressed air to cut stainless steel, alloy steel, mild steel, copper, and aluminum.
★ THE COMPATIBLE CONSUMABLES SETS for this BROWN Color LTP5000D Plasma Cutter are "PCS22" or "PCS33". Please search "Lotos PCS22" or "Lotos PCS33"; ★ NOT compatible with Lotos PCON40 or PCON90 Consumables Sets or any other third part consumables set
★ OUTPUT & PERFORMANCE: 10-50 A DC output, 1/2” ideal clean cut and 3/4” maximum severance cut under 220/240V. 10-35A DC output, 1/3" ideal clean cut and 2/5" maximum severance cut under 110/120V. SUITABLE CUTTING for Stainless Steel, Alloy Steel, Mild Steel, Copper, Aluminum, etc. Uses non-hazardous compressed air to cut, safe and at low cost.
★ SETUP WITHIN 1 MIN: The pre-installed NPT 1/4” industry type D plug and air filter regulator allows you to quick connect to your air compressor by using the stand coupler existing on your air compressor. The whole machine can be setup quickly within 1 min.
Surprisingly affordable, the Lotos LTP5000D plasma cutter is one of the best starter kits if you are just beginning metalworking. The plasma cutter operates at 50 amps and 110 or 220V. It has a decent built quality and a compact design.
Like most Lotos plasma cutters, this one also does not require massive set-up before you can finally start using it. It comes with both automatic dual voltage and dual frequency, which means you only need to plug the device, and it will automatically choose the right voltage.
The Lotos plasma cutter has an impressive cutting technology featuring the V-MOSFET transistor, which is known for its exceptional high output for cutting thick and rough materials with ease. It also ensures that the cut is uniform and can be used on thin metals as well.
At this affordable price, this Lotos one is undoubtedly the best portable plasma cutting machine.
Specially designed for home DIY and small projects, the Miller Spectrum 625 X-treme has a light construction making it extremely portable. It has a sturdy built which can withstand extended hours of both heat and impact.
This Miller plasma cutter is built with auto-line circuitry, which means it does not require any additional tool for power connection. It is also equipped with multi-voltage power adaptors, which automatically chooses the voltage when you plug in the machine.
The auto-refire technology of the plasma cutter further enhances its convenience. This means the user does not need to manually trigger the cutter, whereas it automatically adjusts according to the metal size ad thickness.
It also comes with a quick connect torch with an ergonomic handle for the perfect grip and precision. Also, all the cables in the device are quite flexible and can be maneuvered as per the user’s requirement.
Moreover, wind tunnel technology saves the machine from unwanted dust and debris. It also comes with a built-in fan that works almost simultaneously with the torch, ensuring the utmost reliability and avoiding overheating.
The Forney Weld 251 20 P is probably one of the best welder and plasma cutter at such an affordable price range. It is a lightweight, portable, generator-friendly plasma cutter ideal for home DIY or small projects.
This plasma cutter can cut ¼-inch from most materials like brass, stainless steel, copper, aluminum, or galvanized steel, almost effortlessly. It has a quick set-up and a built-in regulator and air dryer, which further aids the operation.
It works on drag technology, which helps cut metals by touching the tip directly to the metal for smoother and precise cuts. This is an excellent product for people who indulge in intricate metalworking.
Extremely lightweight and portable
It can work well even on rough and rusty surfaces
It uses drag torch technology for precise and smoother cuts
Q: Is drag technology better than non-touch technology?
A: Yes, drag technology lets you cut materials up to 1/8-inch, whereas non-touch technology only focuses on reducing the higher frequency ground circuit.
Q: As a beginner, is it fine to invest in a cheap plasma cutter?
A: Unlike what most people believe, there is a range of affordable plasma cutters that work as great as any other cutter. Brands like Lotos and Super Deal manufacture a few of the best affordable plasma cutters.
When buying a plasma cutter, there’s more to consider than just versatility and durability. If we were to suggest, the Hypertherm Powermax30 Plasma Cutter is one of the best plasma cutters for its extensive features like the handheld operation, in-built air compressor, and moisture removal technology.
1. Advanced Technology: Adopting the most advanced inverter IGBT technology, the development of inverter air plasma cutter has massive benefits which include greatly reduced size and weight, space saving, greater power efficiency, easy to install and operate.
2. Dual Voltage: Dual voltage capability allows the machine to run directly on 220 V 50/60 Hz power, or on 110 V 50/60 Hz. plug adapters included.
3. Output and Performance: 10-50A DC output, 1/2” ideal clean cut and 3/4” maximum severance, the output current is constant and has an excellent operational performance. In good conditions the transfer efficiency is above 85%.
4. Wide Applications: Suitable for cutting stainless steel, alloy steel, mild steel, copper, carbon steel and aluminum, and other metals. Can be widely used at demanding industrial and construction work, or home and hobby use.
5. Setup Easily: Internal air/gas regulator with pressure adjustment allows you to quick connect to your air compressor, it is visible and easy pressure adjustment. The whole machine can be setup very quickly.
1.IGBT Technology:IGBT machine is far superior and more stable than MOSFET machine, Adopting the most advanced inverter IGBT technology and the development of inverter air plasma cutter
2. Dual Voltage: Automatic Dual Voltage / Dual Frequency allows the machine to run directly on 220 V 50/60 Hz power, or on 110 V 50/60 Hz,plug adapters included
3. LCD Display: digital LCD display,easy read front panel air-pressure gauge, adjustable cutting current to satisfy the cutting demands based on different kinds of material and thickness of working plate
4. Performance: 10-50AC output, 1/2” ideal clean cut and 3/4” maximum,Suitable for cutting Stainless steel,copper, iron , aluminum and other metal Materials.Uses non-hazardous compressed air to cut, safe and at low cost.
1. Non-touch Pilot Arc: it efficiently cuts though rough, painted, and rusty surfaces and produces minimal slag；the technology allows you to cut without touching the tip to the metal. It provides a better cutting quality and longer consumable life
2. Input and Output: Dual voltage capability allows the machine to run directly on 110V/220V. plug adapters included, 10-50 A output, 1/2” ideal clean cut and 3/4” maximum severance, Non-HF Blowback Start, there is no HF interference
3. Wide Applications: Suitable for cutting stainless steel, alloy steel, mild steel, copper, carbon steel and aluminum, and other metals. Can be widely used at demanding industrial and construction work, or home and hobby us
4. Setup Easily: The air regulator and water trap is a combined unit mounted at the back machine,the whole machine can be setup very quickly, and it is to reduce the chance of water entering the plasma torch
【MULTI PROTECTIONS】- The cutting system has: power-off protection, memory function. The THC support: Over load/Over-heat protection, low-voltage protection, anti-interference. Guarantee the safe & stable situation on operation.
【MULTI-LANGUAGE SUPPORT】- This product is widely support languages, like: English/French/Portuguese/Russian/Denmark/Korean language etc.
【WIDE APPLICATION】- Perfect to used in steel processing industry, help to decrease workers work and make cutting works more intelligent, get more complex cutting functions.
Hi, my name is Gregory! I have been welding practically all of my life and love it. As I have gotten older I have started to weld less and less, so in order to continue my love for welding I created this website. I like to write about my experiences and help you all become welders. I hope that you enjoy the site!